At Home Bible Study from your Board of Christian Education
One of the most important things we can be doing during this time, when we are all experiencing so many challenges, is to be in God’s word. That is how we get to know Jesus better and understand what He wants for our lives. Times are difficult, but there is so much in the Bible that can provide comfort and reassurance. We can find words of strength to face our challenges, guidance and wisdom to make Christ-like decisions, encouragement to lift us up, and words of perseverance to help in tough situations. The Bible’s words and stories enrich and strengthen our faith, foster a hopeful attitude, and help increase our love for our Savior and for each other.
Each week you will receive a new home bible study. We’ll investigate which Christian virtues and characteristics God values most in us. Jesus’ grace and forgiveness gives us pure joy that releases in us these Christ-like virtues. Remember to also join Pastor Krentz’s Sunday Zoom Bible class on line.
Lesson 1: Love (For a true vision of Love, the only reliable source is Scripture)
Reading: 1 John 3: 11-20 and others
Questions/thoughts to consider:
- What types of love tend to be overlooked by the media?
- What actions and attitudes are contrary to love?
- What action and attitudes are signs of love?
- How does the example of Cain (v12) illustrate the effects of jealousy on love between family members? Also, look at Genesis 4: 1-16 for base reference.
- Why would the world hate Christian’s who show love? Also, look at 1 John 2: 15-17 and John 15: 18-19.
- How is love defined in v16?
- How have you seen Christians lay down their lives for one another?
- Why is loving with actions more important than loving with words (vv17-18)? Also look at Romans 5:5.
- How do our acts of love help strengthen our relationship with God (vv19-20)?
- How can you show love through your actions?
- How can you show someone Christ through your love this week? Also, look at John 13: 34-35.
Lord God, thank you for your word and the guidance it provides for me. Please help me to grow in knowledge and understanding of you, so that love will flow out of you, through me, to others. Amen.