Lesson 11 Life Principle: Our Highest Priority is our Close Relationship with God
We are starting a new focus on our At Home Bible Studies: Christian Life Principles to help you become everything that God designed you to be. These Principles, based on His Word, can help guide your life and growth in the knowledge, service and love of God.
Do you wonder what God’s will is for your life? He created you in His image for one reason: to have a deep, intimate relationship with Him. God created the world with everything you would ever need so that you could know and love Him. That means that nothing – ability, beauty, intelligence, money, or anything else- will ever define your life as successful in God’s eyes. It all comes down to how strong your relationship is with Him. Even before the beginning of the world, God loved you and wanted to have a close, personal relationship with you that would bring great joy, fulfillment, and power to your life (see Eph 1:4).
Reading: Genesis 1 & 3. Also, John 17:1-5, 1 Corinthians 15:22, Deut. 6:5, John 15:5, Rev 3:20
Questions/thoughts to consider:
- Read Genesis 1. What did God create before He formed the first man (1-25) and why before?
- Why do you think it was important to ensure that everything He made was “good” before He created man?
- Why did God “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness (26)?
- What jobs did God give mankind to do (26-28) & how did they relate to our being in His image?
- Read Genesis 3. What was it like in the garden before Adam sinned? Why did he disobey God (5-6)?
- In Genesis 3:10, Adam hid from God. Are you afraid or ashamed to show an area of your life to God?
- What was the punishment for Adam’s sin (15-19)? Did his life become less effective afterward?
- Read John 17:1-5. Define eternal life.
- Read 1 Corinthians 15:22. How does this verse contrast a life of separation from God with a life of intimacy with God?
- How will you live out this Principle this week? Spend time in prayer and in His Word, asking God to draw you into communion with Him and to transform your life so that you can affect the world for the sake of His kingdom.
Lord God, you created me for a close relationship with you. Your highest priority for me is to be involved in prayer, the study of your Word, and worship and praise. I want to lead a fulfilling and significant life. I want to make a difference in this world. I surrender myself completely to Jesus Christ and ask Him to open my heart to His infinite love and mercy. That closeness will become evident in every area of my life and will influence all those that I encounter to positively affect their lives in a way that lasts eternally. I pray this in your Holy Name. Amen.